Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lists

Elli's Artwork
I love lists.  No, you don't understand, I LOVE lists.  When I think, I think in lists.  I don't visualize images or actions happening.  I visualize lists.  Actually, I visualize flowcharts, complete with feedback loops and, I could also argue that they are PID controlled. Ahem.

The girls like lists, too.  They like listing off things we did during the day for Papa when he gets home.  They also keep sub-lists.  For example: the order in which we did things to get out the door.  "Clothes.  Shoes.  Purse. Keys. Car.  Store."

Yesterday, while eating lunch and coloring, the girls made two lists that I hadn't heard before.

I counted out 5 chocolate chips for Elli: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5."   And then she continued by saying, under her breath, "6, 7, 8, 9... 10."  WHOA!  (She did not receive chocolate chips 6 through 10, despite her awesome list.)

We also happened to be experiencing heavy prairie winds, which made it sound like our house was under some air assault.  Anni suspected it was an airplane, and even though I assured her it was just the wind flying, she was still concerned.  To distract her, I asked her to tell me some other things we could see flying.  Here is her list:

Anni's Artwork

  • airplanes ("air-pwanes")
  • helicopters ("heh-coppers")
  • Soldiers ("soh-jers", they fly in the "heh-coppers")
  • dinosaurs ("dy-o-sars")
  • butterflies ("buh-fies")
  • Super Grover ("super grower")
  • owls ("ows")
  • "quacks" (that would be ducks)
  

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant.

    Great artists, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up with your unique observations. Thanks for my moments of laughter today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have given her chocolate chips 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Imagine, you could have seen whether she could count 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15.

    ReplyDelete