Thursday, June 4, 2009

Blue-Light Special

Anyone who grew up in the Midwest (and probably elsewhere) knows about Blue-Light Specials. You know, the super deals that happen at Kmart, highlighted by a big spinning blue light. You'd hope your mom's shopping list would lead her toward that hypnotizing beacon. And as you inched closer and closer to that beige box beneath the light, disappointment set in when you realized it was a sale on Hanes panties again. (The first clue should have been the other "audience-members" the beige bin had.) Alas, once in a while, there was a special on Matchbox cars or VHS movies. In the end, nothing that cool. As a matter of fact, I think Blue-Light Specials were what taught me to be wary of sales, specials and "deals", in general.

Anyway, those blue lights. I could really use them right now. I need a flashing blue light to set on whatever I am doing RIGHT NOW, so that when my memory lapses in a few moments I'll have a freaking clue what I was doing. Oh, hello blue light, I must have been blogging on my computer.

The biggest pitfalls are bathroom trips, which happen quite frequently here. Every time I go, I forget what I've been doing and I just start on something else. I have projects started everywhere, and I have trouble finishing any task. If I go to the bathroom, say, 16 times in a day, that's at least 16 different things getting started and going unfinished.

Not to mention the times when my mind just blanks. Yesterday, for example, I took something out of the freezer to defrost it in the microwave. By the time I had shut the microwave door, I'd forgotten what I was doing. Fortunately, Luke did not witness me just staring blankly at the microwave. I had to look around me for context clues. Oh, Pyrex lid with icy crystals, growling stomach, I must be making dinner! And then I couldn't remember the word I needed for the microwave controls, so I had to scan through all 12 options before finding the word "defrost".

Dr. Oz did provide some comfort to me. He says that prego women lose 8% of their brain volume. (He had pics to confirm. Very cool.) I guess the brain is made up of mostly fats, and that is where bambinos draw any fats they need from. I'm wondering if I'm down 16% here. Never fear, ladies, it does come back (slowly). AND, I'm not losing cells or neurons or becoming less intelligent, LUCAS. The pathways for nerve impulses have to change and that's what's making me a little loco. Thanks, Doc.

1 comment:

  1. After a weekend with three pregnant ladies, I remembered that you operate differently when you are in that state. The internal workings want your attention and your energy. If Luke gives you any grief just blame him. lol

    ReplyDelete